Monday 26 May 2014

Stampede to Calgary

The cycle from Banff to Calgary was 130km (80 miles), our longest distance cycle to date. This was the day we left the Rockies behind and the change in the landscape was dramatic.


We made good progress as the hills were nothing like we were used to although just outside a town called Cochrane there was a massively steep 700ft hill to cycle. Guess what this hill is called?  It's called Big Hill.  What a spot on name! 

At Cochrane, we were looking for a place to eat when we met a chap called Jacob (jacobquiring.com) who is also cycling across Canada.  We swapped stories and he set off up the Big Hill whilst we made our way to KFC for some chicken coated in 12 secret spices.

As we approached Calgary the Highway 1a turned into a fast dual carriageway with multiple slip roads.  It was not an easy cycle so we turned off to look for an alternative route.  We do use a Garmin Oregon GPS for directions but it's functionality is incredibly poor.  Oh don't get me started on Garmin or I will go on for hours.  If Susan can't get to sleep she just says 'speak to me about the 'machine'.  Zzzzzz

So what do you do when you need directions?  You ask a policeman of course! And we got three of Calgary's finest on police cycles to help. 


Three policemen and a guy wearing tights.

Soon we were back on track and hit Calgary city centre. 1433km to date.


On our first rest day in Calgary I wanted to do a bit of window shopping and sight seeing but Susan insisted we go to the Ship and Anchor, a well known football pub in Calgary.  It was, of course, Champions League Final day, Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid.  I wasn't too happy because it was an early start to drinking as the game began at lunchtime in Calgary.  Nevertheless, I went along to keep her happy.  As I see it we are a team and it's not all about what I want.  

So we went to this packed pub with a big screen and lots of Spanish chaps who chanted 'ole'.  We had a few beers and I couldn't believe my bad luck when it went into extra time and I had to drink more beer. However, when Gareth Bale scored my luck changed because it was Susan who got soaked with beer in the madness that ensued.  


Susan got some revenge though as she made me walk back to the hotel in a downpour.  We got absolutely drenched. If only I knew this was going to happen I could have worn my three pairs of socks and got them washed!

My only lasting concern from this day, however, is that if Susan is this insistent with the Champions League, I can't imagine any cycling being done during the World Cup.

2 comments:

  1. Nice tights, like the Robin Hood look! No wonder the Calgary fasion police pulled you over :) Congratulation on your progress so far, amazing! The scenery looks stunning but pleased you made it to civilsation in time for the European Cup Final. Hope the adventure continues to go well, stay safe. Speak soon. David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Dave. Best wishes for your new adventure in the City of Angels.

    ReplyDelete