Monday 12 May 2014

The Elusive Moose

Here is a picture of Moose Lake that I managed to take on our cycle from T Jaune to Jasper.

 

It's a nice picture of a frozen Moose Lake and the reason I include it is because it's the only picture of a Moose I am allowed to take.

As we cycled near Jasper we were flying down a hill when Susan shouted 'there's a moose'. Sure enough on the other side of the road stood a huge beast.  Immediately, I started braking. 'No no no, don't stop' shouted Susan. 'He doesn't like his photo taken'.  'What???'  'I read it in a leaflet, he doesn't like his photo taken' she shouted again with more urgency in her voice (note: Susan thinks I'm the kind of idiot who would stop and take a picture of a Moose).  So here we are hurtling down the hill, I want to stop and my wife and advisor of 29 years is urging me not to.  Thankfully, I didn't have time to make the wrong choice because before I knew it we were another 400m down the hill and there was no way I was going to stop and go back up the hill.

Susan and I have since discussed the issue.  It now appears that I am not allowed to stop and take pictures of either mooses or bears.  What a spoilsport. 

6 comments:

  1. LOL. Reminds me when, as a student, an elderly Scots landlady told me excitedly that she'd just seen a "moose" in the kitchen. A what? Ah, yes, a "mouse"! Love reading the blog and the superb photos. Clearly the training rides to Gullane were great prep - you're flying. Just concerned how Clif will follow the football World Cup? Assume the matches are factored in to the cycling schedule. All well here - and at yours. Keep pedalling! RMFC&M @ 58 HVT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob, I have the official FIFA app on my phone to give me all the dates and we are in the right time zone so I just need to make sure our rest days coincide with key games. So it's kind of half planned. Of course, we are supporting England :)

      Delete
  2. If you don't get a picture of a bear from at least 10ft then your a woose!! lol
    Are you on schedule? or are we going to have to get the plane delayed.
    Great photos and stories.
    PS Does Susan actually pedal?

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Types we are on schedule. We were advised not to try and cross the Rockies before mid May because of the weather. Sun is shining today though but as we climb even higher it gets cold. Susan is great at peddling and just as well. These hills are relentless. However, she makes so much noise huffing and puffing I think she scares the bears away.

      Delete
  3. I would only worry about male moose during the rut, and then I would worry more if I were on the back seat. And, female moose - well it is best to always proceed on the understanding all females are dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an excellent philosophy!

    ReplyDelete